AfC Prime provides social workers and managers to children’s services that are suffering from high rates of high staff turnover, unfilled vacancies and large amounts of agency workers.
Set up specifically to help directors and social work managers solve recruitment and retention problems, AfC Prime helps to make recruitment a springboard to service improvement by getting great staff in; helping to stabilise the service; and provide peer support to colleagues – all building a high-performing successful team that can attract and retain brilliant local social workers.
Working for AfC Prime
When you come to work for AfC Prime you will be employed by Achieving for Children, an award winning community interest company jointly owned by Kingston, Richmond and Windsor & Maidenhead Councils. This gives our staff the employment benefits of the public sector, plus the freedom to innovate to help secure the best possible outcomes for children, young people and their families.
AfC Prime colleagues are contracted to work for six and 12 month secondments in children’s services throughout England. Usually you will be seconded with a pod of five other AfC Prime employees so effective workplace support can be given to you. Perhaps the easiest way to understand the role is to see it as a hybrid between a temporary and permanent employment. Like an agency worker, you will not stay in the same workplace for years at a time because you will be on a time limited secondment. And as a permanent member of staff you will accrue all the benefits that are associated with having a permanent employment contract.
By being part of AfC Prime you will:
- Undertake time limited 6-12 month secondments in different local authorities – you will have no time to get bored or stuck in a routine somewhere
- Work with Prime colleagues in a supportive pod – No more isolation as a locum because you will be placed as part of a pod with work colleagues with wrap around support from AfC Prime during your secondments
- Work in different areas of the UK – Do you want to see different parts of the UK? You will have the opportunity to live and work in a different area of the country
- Enhance your opportunities for career advancement – through working in different areas you will enhance your skills through having to constantly adapt them to new situations
- Enhance your CV – doing secondments will make your CV attractive to prospective employers who will see diversity of experience, a healthy risk taking attitude and adaptability
- Avoid office politics – through not being stuck in one location for years at a time
- Earn a financial bonus – on completion of an annual secondment you will achieve a financial bonus of £3000-£4000, depending on your grade
By being part of Achieving for Children you will also benefit from:
- Competitive salary, leave and access to the local government pension scheme – our salaries are benchmarked against other local authorities and includes access to the local government pension scheme; a generous annual leave entitlement; and enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave schemes.
- Excellent learning and development opportunities and schemes of support – all employees have access to our training and education programmes that includes everything from systemic family therapy to Lego therapy! Our learning and development offer was highlighted as a key strength by the judging panel when they awarded us Social Work Employer of the Year in 2016.
- Retention of continuous service benefits – for those moving from a local government post you will retain your continuous service benefits.
- Tools and models to support practice – you will have access to our virtual practice support hub, which includes access to Research in Practice, Signs of Safety practice support and relevant evidenced based research.
- Manageable caseloads – through reflective supervision from an experienced management team, your caseloads will be monitored and reviewed regularly.
- Career pathways – there is access to a clear progression path when key qualification milestones are reached.
And above all, we care! We value employees’ wellbeing, and recognise that working with vulnerable children and their families can be stressful. That’s why we offer an internal coaching programme, reflective supervision, and access to a confidential support line and advice and guidance from trained professionals. And we also recognise the hard work and dedication of our employees through our staff awards programme and regular social events and activities.
If you would like to talk through opportunities at AfC Prime, or for more information contact Andrew Thorne, Director of AfC Prime on 020 8891 7790 or by email: email@example.com